top of page

Plaster queries

Plaster problems
The problem I have is an area where some stubborn paint was chipped away, so was some of the plaster. There are now a lot of small indentations I would like to repair. What product should I use and what procedure is the simplest and most cost-effective?

Toni Stella, our paint and coatings expert, advises: 

Removing old flaking paint can be done using various methods: 

* The first is using scrapers and steel brushes. 
* The second is using a pressure washer.
* The third method is using a paint remover, such as Plascon Removall. 

The method that you used has unfortunately removed all the paint coatings as well as the plaster finish. Repairing and repainting the walls should be done as follows, for the best finish:
* Remove all the loose sand aggregate by brushing down with a stiff bristle brush or broom.
* Apply a coat of A.Shak Plasterkey to the damaged areas – the indentations – to bond any loose sand particles. Allow to dry for 2-4 hours.
* Apply a ready mix skimming plaster (available at most hardware stores) using a plaster trowel. Allow to dry for 4-6 hours.
* Sand down to a smooth finish. If indentations are very deep, more skimming plaster needs to be applied to level off the surface.
* Finally apply two coats of your choice of a water-based topcoat.

Note: Water-based paints can be applied directly to the surface. If oil-based paint is used, first apply a masonry primer, followed by a universal undercoat and two final coats of oil based enamel. 

Contact Toni Stella on 082-781-9669 for more information.

bottom of page